Re: [FWDLK] Stuck in the 50's

I graduated in 1956, just had my 50th reunion. Our year was the first with many of the students having cars. By Graduation I had 2, a '33 Chevy Coupe (paid $50) with hood off and PAINTED whitewalls, and a '49 Ford coupe (paid $400). Big decision leaving for school, was which one to drive. My parents had 1 car a '55 DeSoto all door, and Mom didn't drive then. I have had at least 2 cars ever after. Loved Customs and so went to work at a body shop after school and Sat morns. Sold the '33 and bought a '40 Chevy Coupe with a souped up Jimmy engine with split manifold and dual glass packs. We used to pour gas in them (off the car!) and burn out the fiberglass. One buddy had a new '55 Ford Crown Vikky and we would take off the mufflers on Fri. evening and replace them with rain downspout pipe.... LOUD! In those days loud mufflers was a moving violation and I lost my license over them. My wife had to take me to and from work driving a '49 Mercury custom convert while very pregnant. It had frenched headlights, formed hood scoops, rounded hood and door corners shaved everything, elec. solinoids with micro swiches in the 1/4's to open the doors and trunk, Turnpike Cruiser fender skirts, long side Lakes pipes, lowered and duals. Later got a '51 Merc vert and switched everything over to it 'cause I liked the lines of the back end better. It ended up with a Naugihyde (?) top, white with gold piping around the edges. The top shop gave me a great price as they wanted to see what it looked like and see if it would be a good product. I still love a nice set of pipes and all my Chryslers have California Turbos on them and my Dakota has duals and only a little muffler which splits the exhaust into 2 pipes.
Yea, those were the days, and they're still stuck in our heads!
Ray