From: Forward Look Mopar Discussion List [mailto:L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Mark J. Hash
Sent: Friday, December 08, 2006 3:05 AM
To: L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [FWDLK] '59 Fury on ebay

Hello list.  I have been mostly lurking and not posting much the last few months.  But I have a situation where I would like your opinions and comments.  First, the facts as I know them:

---My dad is not an ebay member, but a friend recently turned him onto a '59 Fury in Massachusetts being sold on ebay.  Item #120060852918, seller is houstonpt, with a feedback rating of 0 (zero).

---The Buy It Now price was $4800.  After dad emailed the seller, found out this INCLUDED shipping the car via DAS shippers from Mass to us in Oregon.  Also included a 30 day warranty in which the seller promised to pay for RETURN SHIPPING to Mass if my dad wasn't satisfied with the car.

---After my dad said he wanted the car, the auction mysteriously disappeared.  The seller emails that it is because he is reserving the car for my dad.  The seller says he moved from Mass to Budapest, Hungary, making it necessary to sell the car.

---After my expressing to my dad the possibility that this may be one of the many fraudulent car auctions making their way through ebay, my dad again contacted the seller, who replied with directions on how he could pay for the car using ebay's Vehicle Purchase Protection plan.  Have others here used the VPP to purchase a vehicle?  If the deal falls apart after my dad pays the money, how difficult is it to get the money back?

What am I missing here?  I have been on ebay for 10 years, but have not purchased a car on ebay.  I am quite well aware of the scams and fraudulent car auctions, and have told my dad that's what I think this is - a scam.  The price is too low, the deal is too good, the auction was terminated, and that's not how ebay works.  Yet he remains convinced the seller and car are legit.  Is it possible he's right?

Thanks for your comments,

Mark   mjh

Sutherlin, OR

'57 Fury