[FWDLK] Steering Box Color

While my HEMI is out being rebuilt I've begun the process of "refurbishing"( I hate to say restoring,the word is used too loosely) under the hood of my '58 Fury with a much needed cleaning and repaint.The question I have is were manual steering boxes painted black from the factory or were they left in bare metal? My parts car  '58 has 56,000 miles on but the box is solid surface rust with no signs of paint on it leaving me to believe they were left unpainted,and it's been so long since I built my '57 I can't remember what the box looked like when I had that car apart.Anyone in FL land have the answer for this? Your help would be much appreciated.
Adam Lindenbaum