[FWDLK] Greasing rear axle bearings

I think I have a rear wheel axle bearing that wants to seize because of a lack of grease.  I finally had the presence of mind to do a more careful review of the factory service and repair manual and found that there are plugs where the bearing are located and these are to be removed and “short fiber” grease used to lubricate these bearings.  Seems like years ago I had this sort of grease in a can for greasing front bearings.   In order to inject the grease, am I supposed to remove the plug and install a grease fitting so I can use my grease gun?  My manual is not specific on that.  Thanks.

Tom Taylor

55 Dodge