Re: [FWDLK] 1959 Chrysler Wagon at B-J

Neil, you mentioned that you photo'd the 1959 Chrysler
Wagon at Barrett-Jackson and that you knew the
former-former owner. I wasn't able to watch this car
go over the block, so I'd like to see more detail
about it than the four photos of it on the B-J web
site. I'd also like to know what sort of restoration
it has enjoyed, and what that has cost.

My curiosity stems from owning a 1958 New Yorker Wagon
that I bought a few years ago. I paid a pretty high
price on the mistaken belief that it needed nothing. I
could go on for hours detailing all the things that
have been rebuilt during the course of its multi-year
professional restoration, but the bottom line is that
it has now cost so much that I told the most recent
restorer to just stop where he was. I've had the car
flat-bedded back to me, and I've stored it for the
foreseeable future. My problem is that I've already
spent so much more than the car will ever be worth,
that I just can't justify digging the hole any deeper
by spending even more on it (even if I did have the
money).

There isn't all that much further to go, in the scheme
of things, but it's more than I can afford right now.
It needs to be painted (already primed and sanded),
the rear side windows need to have new gaskets and
then be reinstalled, the rear bumper could stand
rechroming (what the hell, might as well), and then
the trim needs to be reinstalled on the body.

I think that 1959 Chrysler wagons should be worth a
bit less than the 1958 Chrysler wagons, simply due to
the difference in 413 versus 392 hemi engines. I'm
guessing that the price difference between 300Ds and
300Es should tell me the value difference attributable
to the engine.

But, I'd like to know more about the 1959 at
Barrett-Jackson, because there are so few of these
Forward Look wagons changing hands, it's really
anybody's guess what they're really worth. By the way,
didn't Hyman or some other dealer have one of these
for sale a couple of years ago, asking about $39K or
$49K? Does anybody know what became of that car, or
what it might have sold for?

At the risk of incurring the wrath of ForwardLookers
everywhere, I'd welcome any discussion or advice on
what my 58 New Yorker wagon might be worth, both "as
is" nearing the last stage of completion, and as a
freshly finished restoration.

Dick Woodside