From: vanhilla@xxxxxxxxxxxx
To: L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 10:20 PM
Subject: [FWDLK] Danger of wheel failure unless the rims are replaced by stronger ones designed for use with radial tires

Some of these "cures" sound worse than the problem.

Securing the wheel covers with long straps that 'won't prevent the wheel cover from coming off but will keep it from being lost' sounds dismal.  I'd rather lose the cover and have to beat the bushes for it than have it tethered on to the rim and beating itself to death on the pavement.

The idea of drilling a hole in the cover and rim, and then disguising it as a second valve stem, is a funny one.  Let's see, which one do I use to inflate the tire?  Plus what does that hole do to the balance and the seating of the tire bead?

Sure you can scare people about "safety," and the cover-flying-off-with-radial-tire phenomenon does happen, especially on really narrow rims.  But do we really need to be scared off our rims?

--Roger van Hoy, Washougal, WA, '55 DeSoto, '58 DeSoto, '56 Plymouth, '66 Plymouth, '41 Dodge