[FWDLK] radial tires and lost hubcaps

We just discussed this on another list I am also on -

Thing is, I have a 1989 Chevy Suburban I have driven the wheels off of, and I stuck a mid-50's full hubcap on it to see if I could put a set on - and promptly lost it, I know about where but never looked because it's an on-ramp to a toll highway, and because it was a cap I'd been carrying around for at least a year and no one would even go a dollar on.

I put some full covers (freebies, mid-60's GM caps) on a 1988 Thunderbird and lost a couple of them as well.

Radial tires put more stress particularly on the front rims, and I have read stories of rim failures - primartly on post-1954 Studebakers.  The sidewall has less flex to it, amd that flex ends up in the rim.   The GM cars which use kingpin suspension through 1957 (Olds, Pontiac) some sources claim it is not safe to use radials on at all, even though the handling is much improved and the hot rod guys use radials on straight axles with kingpins to no apparent detrimental issues.

You can probably get by on radials on stock rims the lifetime of one set of tires, which these days can be more than the intended lifetime of the car - when Forward Look cars were built, the average lifetime of any automobile was around 10 years/100,000 miles (just going by the cars I have come across in junkyards with inspection stickers or liscense plates that the year is still discernable on).  But you won't be able to keep full hubcaps on the rims.  They will walk, or pop off.

If you intend to drive the car daily,  at normal highway speeds, I highly recommend - as much frustration as it may be - to buy the replacement rims from Stockton wheel - or to replace your rims with late model Chrysler rims from a car which was sold with radial tires.  The reason I make the frustration comment is the stories I have heard about Stockton Wheel are around a 9:1 good:bad ratio.   It may be easier to just use later model Mopar rims, especially if they are the same diameter.

My only other suggestion would be to buy about six of one style cap off of people's flea market dollar tarps no matter what rims you use, and if you lose any, bend the tabs out more on the others.   If you keep losing caps, either go to some kind of bolt-on adapter a-la 1980's GM wire caps, or try different caps - you can always stick the correct ones on for show.

Bill K.