Re: [FWDLK] radial tires and lost hubcaps

I have been running Coker 215-14 radials and AAJ front disc brakes for several years now with original 57 Plymouth rims with no wheel cover loss or slippage or problems of any kind. About 8,000 miles now with three high speed trips to Carlisle with no difficulties. On a different note, I had a 57 Pontiac with aftermarket rims and 225- 14 radials about 10 years old that looked to be in excellent condition. Well on the NY Thruway, on the way to the Dunkirk flea market one of the tires failed suddenly and completely ( tread seperation), luckily it was a rear and didn't create a control problem slowing down from the 75 MPH we were running. I guess its not a bad idea to replace tires every 5 or 6 years no matter how good they look! ----- Original Message ----- From: "eastern sierra Adj Services" <esierraadj@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, January 27, 2007 4:35 AM
Subject: Re: [FWDLK] radial tires and lost hubcaps

OK; my turn, at this dance:

Back in 81, when my car was running G78x14 Bias plys, the car  would
roll-off a front spinner, with some regularity, on slow speed
city-cornering.

I re"tired" that rim, to the trunk's-spare wheel/tire, and replaced it,
with another one, I had.

Since then, I started running radial tires, on the OEM 5 1/2"x14 " rims.

First came... (IIRC---but they WERE all different sizes; so 'much' for
only being "able" to run one-size radial, before catastrophic wheel
failure)...a 205 series, followed years  later by a 215 series, and
finally, I'm now running correct size Diamondback radials (altho their
size is shown on them as being  in some sort of weird Euro measurement).

My friend , Ron Mog, used to say that I would drive Horrie too hard,
around corners, but, I enjoy his handling, now that I've beefed up the
suspension components.

Anyway, this year, Ron may have been (partly) correct, as the car
suffered right front wheel bearing failure( the bearings being about 20
years old, now!), which was relatively very easily repaired, by over-the
counter replacement bearings----Ron had said that the aggressive
cornering might be 'hard' on the bearings--altho I'd upgraded the
brakes, wheel spindles & bearings to 11x3" components .

Also, this year, when I had the wheels rotated, I DID have a Spinner
come off a front wheel, upon surface street cornering (apparently due to
the shop's having mis-matched the wheel covers, to the wheel(s) from
which the 'covers' had ben removed).

EASY fix, tho: I just bent-out the peripheral serrated 'tabs', on the
wheel cover, so as to increase their grip ONTO  the wheel!!

No more 'spinning' Spinners!

Moral: just because a wheel cover may come off a rim, doesn't mean that
the RIM or the tire, necessarily, is at fault, for the 'failure'.

Try to 'tighten/increase' the grip, of the wheel
cover, TO the rim.

Neil Vedder