Re: [FWDLK] car lifespans (was: Transmission Colors and MORE)

Re: [FWDLK] car lifespans (was: Transmission Colors and MORE)

 Having owned several 57-58 Plymouth parts cars here in NY I've noticed none of my parts cars had over 60,000 miles.Most had 52,000-57,000 miles on them and had already had floor patches and fender caps which were rotted thru again,bad trunks and no rockers.My current '58 parts car which was on the road until the 80's,has 56,000 miles on it.The floors were patched where the seat bolts in,the fenders have rot but nothing severe and the cowl is rotting around the windshield.The dog legs,rockers and 1/4's also would need work.If it was a Fury or Belvedere hardtop it would be a restorable car but it's a six cylinder Silver Special Sedan,rare but not very desirable,not worth the amount of work it would need to put it back.As most local people tell me when they see my '57 or '58 out most of these cars were gone by '65 around here.Mechanically they lasted but the bodies couldn't survive the winters.I've had former Plymouth owners tell me the fenders rotted out within two years,gotta love that late 50's Mopar quality! All older cars thru the '80 around here have rust issues,even early-mid 90's cars are showing up at my dealership for brake and fuel lines,rotted gas tanks,ect. This upstate NY salt is a killer.
Adam Lindenbaum