[FWDLK] Car Lifespan (Newsweek Article, July 1964)

[FWDLK] Car Lifespan (Newsweek Article, July 1964)

I have scanned an article from Newsweek, July 1964.  (See links below)    That was about the time many of the '55-'56 Forwardlooks were heading to the junkyard.  I think this is a very interesting article to help us understand why cars were junked.

I was surprised by how many people drove the car to a bad part of town, removed the license plate, then walked away, when they were done with it.  The tow charge to the junkyard was more than the car was worth to the junkman.  Cities had litter clean up crews that removed the junk cars littering the city.  What a different time it was.

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=389302369&context=photostream&size=l
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=389302373&context=photostream&size=l
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=389302375&context=photostream&size=l

Robert Whitman in KC