[FWDLK] POR 15 prep

I'm currently using a wire brush to remove rust scale from my 58 Fireflite's frame.  A great product to apply after brushing is "Ospho".  It converts the remaining rust to an inert material; your rust is gone and it's ready for primer/paint.  You can get Ospho at any Sherwin-Williams.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, February 14, 2007 4:19 AM
Subject: Re: [FWDLK] POR 15

My experience with POR 15 has been positive. I use the Chassis Black, which is semi-gloss and UV resistant. I have used it on small things and around the battery area, which always rusts from the battery acid. No rust has come back in 10+ years yet. I also used it on the iron base of a carb 8 years ago, being careful not to get any on the throttle shaft or adjustment screws. It has held up there very well against the heat and gasoline.

But I think the toughest test is in the middle of my driveway. I had new asphalt done in 1996. I used a small 10 inch removable manhole cover over the water main shutoff valve. It is real cheap cast iron and I didn?t want a great red spot in the middle of my driveway. It had a light coat of rust, which I roughly cleaned with a wire brush, and then painted with 2 coats of POR 15 Chassis Black. After 10 years of Minnesota winters and summer humidity, sand and salt from the snowplows, being driven over, there is no sign of rust yet.

Dave Homstad

56 Dodge D500

56 Dodge convert