Re: [FWDLK] All this late model and future discussion...

Re: [FWDLK] All this late model and future discussion...

Hi all:

In December of 1964, our college SAE Club held an economy run throughtout the Greater Los Angeles area.  I went to a local Rambler dealer and they gracioiusly loaned me a new plain Jane 1965 Rambler American stick shift.  This dealership had sponsored the previous year's Mobil Gas economy run winner to Yosemite.  They gave it to me a week ahead of the run for practice, retarded the timing to 5 degrees after tdc (this what they told me) and put some smaller jets in the carb.  I added a vacuum gauge.

Just before the run, my navigator put 40# of air in the tires.  During the run, I drove without a shoe on my right foot.  My navigator looked ahead and advised me of the light situation.  In total, we had to stop for only 4 of the 88 lights on our run.

End result, we won the contest with 45 mpg!

Dan Reitz
Northridge, CA