Re: [FWDLK] Driver's Door will not open... How do I get door panel off t

Re: [FWDLK] Driver's Door will not open... How do I get door panel off to repair?

I'd call AAA or a locksmith and see if someone can get in there with a slim-jim or wire and unlatch the door by hooking on the mechanism at the latch. Removing the fender won't help, because the door won't hinge open from the latched side, and removing the seat won't help if the door panel is covered by a lip inside the door frame. Something's come apart if neither handle will open it, I assume it's not rusted or frozen up any other way, it's just a matter of figuring out what fell off and hooking that so you can get the door open.

If the car is a 2-door hardtop, you could try removing the rear seat and rear side interior panel, and seeing what access there is to that side of the door latch, but I'd look over the door that does open first - if it's like some that use big screws from the outside, you won't get anything apart on the inside.

The best bet is probably to remove the other side door panel, see how it works, roll your window down on the side which won't open, and make a latch out of wire or use long screwdrivers or the like to open it. A guy used to that sort of work might be able to do it in just a few minutes - yeah it costs money, but if he can do it without wrecking anything, it may be worth it.

I don't have handy access to a 55-56 Chrysler or I'd look one over, we do have a '55 with the door panels off up to the farm, but I don't think the snow is even yet melted enough to get around up there yet (and if it is it will be a sea of mud). I have been inside a lot of doors, though, and 9 times out of 10 when something won't work it's one of the actuating rods has come loose inside.

Bill K.