Re: [FWDLK] 56 Shocks

In a message dated 3/26/2007 12:55:01 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, cgico@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

I am in need of shocks (front and rear) for my 1956 Dodge.   I believe there was a list member selling these shocks on ebay.  Please forward any information if possible as my Dodge has a lean to the left.

Thanks,

Greg in WI

1956 Dodge Royal Lancer

Shocks don't support any load, they just dampen out suspension movement unless you get air shocks or spring over shocks. Your car should have the same stance with or without shocks. Look for broken springs or torsion bars or possibly a torsion bar in need of adjustment.

John

No torsion bars in 1956.  Front are coil springs, rear are leaf springs.  I think most likely to be a leaf broken in a rear spring.  Only a vision check will tell.  You can see a broken front coil spring.

I can't remember whether 1956 rear springs were covered or not.

Another method of diagnosis would be to jack up each end IN THE MIDDLE, which will exaggerate the problem by taking away the support of the springs on the other end of the car.  Jack up the front.  If it's level, the rear springs are even.  Then vice-versa.  Easier and safer with a floor jack.

Good luck!

Joe Savard
Lake Orion, Michigan