[FWDLK] FOLLOWUP: Re: [Chrysler300] Tires

[FWDLK] FOLLOWUP: Re: [Chrysler300] Tires

Howdy Folks,

I wanted to followup to this thread on Coker's problematic 225/75-R14
tires.

You may remember my post from February concerning the failure of all
four of the 225/75-R14 Coker wide whitewall radials I experience last
summer on my way back from Chryslers @ Carlisle.

My first call late last summer to Coker about these problems didn't
leave me with the feeling that they were willing to rectify my issues
with these tires.  However, it appears if you're insistent enough and
are willing to bear the brunt of dismounting and shipping these failed
tires back to them, they'll pro-rate and replace these tires ( even
though I purchased these tires almost 7 years ago!)  My followup call to
Coker last month connected me with a customer service rep that was aware
of the issues with the original manufacturer of these tires who gave me
no argument at all over my insistence that they stand behind my original
purchase.

At any rate, I just wanted to let the lists know that after bearing the
cost of returning the defective tires, Coker gave me a pro-rated credit
for what I originally paid for these tires and applied it against a new
purchase, covered the shipping back to me AND gave the Dave Stragand
Forward Look Network 10% discount off of the full selling price of the
tires I purchased (235/75-R14).

So, that's the scoop.  I'm going to mount these tires and get the 300C
back on the road this weekend as spring has finally sprung here in Ohio!
  My thanks to Jim Krausman for pointing out to me the thread from the
Forward Look list where Coker "fessed up" that they had problems with
the early verisions of this tire and to Dave Stragand for negotiating
the "club discount" with Coker.

Best Regards,

Thomas F. Miller
tfm@xxxxxxxxxxxx
'57 300C, '57 NY Wagon(s), '70 440+6 'Cuda

>>> "Thomas Miller" <tfm@xxxxxxxxxxxx> 2/2/2007 10:52 AM >>>
Ditto.

Has anyone found a suitable 14" radial tire in the 225/75 or 235/75
size?  I dropped $700 bucks on the Coker radials about 7 years ago.
They barely have 2,000 miles on them.  They LOOK great, but that's about
it.  When you look at the design of the tread, they remind me of the
first radial Michelin tires I rememeber seeing back in the '70s.
Additionally, this year on my way back from Carlisle to Columbus, Ohio,
all four of my coker radials exhibited varying degrees of tread
separation.  One of them now has a steel belt hanging out of it, and the
rest are in varying degrees of bulginess.

Coker doesn't seem real thrilled about standing behind these tires, and
frankly I'm not real enthused about putting another set of these tires
on my '57 300C.

I can't seem to find a suitable radial tire to put on this car.  I
really don't want to go back to bias plys either.

Anyone else with a big monster finned vehicle that has 14" wheels solve
this dilemma?

Thanks.

TFM

>>> Tony Rinaldi <awrdoc@xxxxxxxxx>  >>>
To all,

Goodyear Blue Streak Tires with 1/2 bias and 1/2 belted are no longer
made.
We are stuck with reproduction bias ply or radials for our cars. My car
did
not ride well with reproduction bias ply tires.

Those who had period narrow white wall tires (or those who don¹t mind
running non period looking narrow WSW tires) are lucky since the
following
tire sizes are still available in modern radials:

215/75 R14
225/75 R14
225/75 R15
235/75 R15

For 1957 thru 1960, the 235/75 R14 tire size is no longer available
except
from Coker. The 225/75 R14 is too small for the cars.

These tires are not cheap (over priced)!

Can anyone suggest an alternative, black, white or indifferent for
235/75
R14 tire size?

Tony