Re: [FWDLK] Digest 2007-27

I guess if you had to deal with half the stuff a guy who wants to sell old cars does, your prices would be high too.   It's just plain business sense, you sell where you make the most money for the least effort.  If you don't want to pay to play, then you have to figure out how to beat the system.   Or, in the case of the silly taxes, move elsewhere if they won't accept a realistic appraisal value of the vehicle.

I'm getting so I don't even care about the cars anymore, when I can't even sell a complete, motor turns, '61 Chrysler 2dr hardtop for $500 - when I could just as easily sell the dash cluster, some stainless, the taillights, and some glass or good interior parts out of it, sell the whole body with good doors for scrap, motor and all, get $250 at $135 a ton there, and sell the parts for $750 or more...  well, if I scrap it maybe the next one will be worth $750.   As for the parts, if it's not worth what I want then I may as well smash it and throw it away, it's more work to take the thing apart for less money for the pieces.  If I can't get at least 75% of what I can get for it on eBay, it's not worth it to sell at a swap meet.  Here again, the idea is to make money, not lose my shirt.  Until someone creates an old car charity, where everyone can buy what they need for whatever they want to offer, the market is what will dictate what prices are.

And until that charity pays me the difference in your price and my price, I guess I will keep the cars I'm offered $200 on, it's a lot less hassle to just junk them and stick some old engine blocks or refrigerators or whatever else is laying around, in them, and make more money at the scrap dealer.  I did that with the '57 Plymouth 2dr hardtop I had, so it's not a big deal to do it again.

Bill K.