[FWDLK] Fwd: [FWDLK] floor mats et al

See what's free at AOL.com.

--- Begin Message ---
  • From: Cebuisle2@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2007 08:21:54 EDT
Would that I could challenge the rates here. The local branch of the AACA  had the attitude of Shhh! Don't make waves, they will raise the taxes even higher!

I inquired some years ago about the source of the high tax rates on old cars. It is a book kept in Raleigh, the state capitol. The book has no relation to any of the guide books we use in the hobby. To challenge this tax rate or any other (including what they have just taxed your home as being worth) one must first file a petition and then hire a lawyer and go to Raleigh to present the case to a tax appeal board. The lawyer must be qualified to do this. What this all comes down to is an impossibility of challenging any tax rate set by the politicians. They have successfully isolated themselves from any challenges.
The previous tax assessor owned an old car, and cut me some slack when I protested, but he has retired and the new man will not consider any deviation from the book used to "assess" the old cars. It would take a lot of $$$ for  someone to mount a challenge, and they know this. This, coupled with the well known attitude of North Carolinians to say, :"ahh, let's just pay it and be quiet" has allowed them to have unlimited power over the ability to tax.
We may be the "home of the brave" but hardly the "land of the free" anymore. The tax, incidentally, must be paid on all cars owned, even if they are junkers hiding in the woods and have not seen the highway for forty years-- sad but true-

                                                                              best wishes, Ted

See what's free at AOL.com.