Re: [FWDLK] Property Taxes / old cars and protecting oneself

Re: [FWDLK] Property Taxes / old cars and protecting oneself

In a message dated 4/23/2007 11:54:20 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, tstroup@xxxxxxxx writes:
We have concealed-carry in Ohio.
You have to take a course which includes the firing range.

Even if you are not licensed, wouldn't you rather go to jail for shooting an assailant,
than be killed by one while you are waiting for the authorities to arrive ?

Never mind the dog, BEWARE the Owner !

Tom S
Southern Ohio
We have concealed Carry permits in Michigan, too.  Unfortunately they make them very time and money-consuming to obtain.  It literally takes months.  Then, since they are only good for 3 years, you have to go through the whole thing all over again.  There is no "renewing".  Each permit is completely new.

I had a "No restrictions" carry permit for 9 years, when in business, then let it lapse when I left the state.  When I returned several years ago, I was told that I'd need a "CC" permit to even carry my pistol to the target range, unloaded and in the trunk of my car!  I paid about $100 in fees, got fingerprinted, filled out the application and got 3 character witnesses to sign the thing, took the gun safety course (Even though I had been a federally licensed firearms dealer for 10 years!), waited about 60 days and was finally licensed to carry it, but only in the trunk, back and forth to the range.

I went to the range ONE TIME, only to learn that it was so heavily regulated that you could only load a single round into your gun at a time.  Try that with a revolver, or an automatic pistol.  By the time you load a single round, then rotate the cylinder or replace the clip, you completely forget your sight picture between shots.  I gave up in disgust, which, I am sure, was the whole idea.

While in Calyfornia, I did know a former L.A. County deputy.  He no longer had a carry permit, but admitted to carrying when he felt the need.  When I asked him about it, he said that he'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6!

Sorry for the probably off-topic rant, but I feel better now, and I didn't start it!

Joe Savard
Lake Orion, Michigan

See what's free at AOL.com.