[FWDLK] Poly & the Acetones....

Just, finally, saw the Mythbusters show, where acetone was test-driven,
in a mid 80's Oldsmobuick.

The Generic car recorded 17 mpg @ a steady 35 & 25mpg @ a steady 55.

They mixed the acetone in a 1 : 500 ratio.

They recorded 16+ & 24+ mpg, which is close, but no-cigars.

UNFORTUNATELY, for me, the acetone: fuel ratio that appeared in the
on-line article, which I still have, recommended  an  A:F ratio of about
1oz: 4gal, or 1oz:5gal, which are ratios of
1: 256 & 1: 320 .

The article that I cited specifically says that the
A : F ratio should be about "my" ratios, or else the fuel economy would
degrade.

The Mythies did not say how/why they had decided to do their test at 1 :
500, and did not try different ratio-formulations.

They ALSO did not try to test regular/extra/high
grade gas , on mpg !  Bummer.

Dave Homstad has written (your cue: Dave)
that there is actually more hydrocarbons in regular gas, than in the
higher octane grades.

Although I live @ 4k' , my 330 (now!) Hemi 9.25 c.r. engine
drives-around, just fine, here (although I don't try to engage in any
street races, with that fuel).

And, does  not the current 'excuse-for-gas'
carry a different octane "formula", so that it would have  a HIGHER
octane rating, if calculated in the 50's/60's manner?

So, I'm "torn", about what grade (and BRAND) of gas to install, and when
to install the acetone.

There's three variables, right there: brand, type
of fuel, and effect of the acetone added thereto (at about 1 : 300
ratio).

Then, there are the variables of elevation changes, ambient temperature,
WIND resistance,  and average speed across ground.
Wish that the 'Busters' would have done  a better fuel-and-acetone test!

Maybe I'll write to them.

Neil Vedder