[FWDLK] Coker tires and fwdlook archives and Tulsarama

[FWDLK] Coker tires and fwdlook archives and Tulsarama

I searched through the FWDLK archives looking for the thread about Coker tires and premature tread separation, but couldn't find it.  I thought there would be a keyword search feature in the archives rather than just a date and title listing.

As others have experienced, my Coker Classics just went through premature tread separation.  At least my right front did.  My tires have only 5000 miles on them, but they are about 10 years old.  I noticed when taking Mr. Finzzz out for a drive for the first time in a couple of months the other day.  At any speed over say, 30 mph, there was bad shimmy.  I didn't know what was wrong, thought maybe the suspension had a problem, and only weeks before leaving for Tulsarama!

When I parked, had the wheels cranked left.  I looked at the tires and the right front was bulging and pulsing!  I thought an alien was about to hatch!  Not having a spare (smart, huh?), I limped the car 5 miles to town to Big O Tires, my local shop.  They've sold Cokers there a long time.  They mounted a free loaner tire to get me home, and called Coker.  There's 75% of the tread left on my tires, so Coker has agreed to inspect the bad one (Big O has shipped it to California) and make me a deal on a new set.  I've yet to find out how good a deal.  Up until now my Cokers rode like a dream, now we'll see how well the company stands by them, even though they are old tires.

On another note, I'm fighting with the Tulsarama placement committe over the layout of the Invitational Auto Show.  When I get resolution on this, I'll let the group know the details.  It's quite interesting, and disturbing at the same time, how they are treating at least my car.  Short story, the Buried Belvedere will be surrounded in a circle by 12 1957 cars.  Don't know what kind of 1957 cars, but my Fury is scheduled to be shuffled off to the furthest coffin corner of the building away from the Belvedere.  I'm trying to get them to reconsider this.

I would be interested in hearing from the other two forwardlookers who are displaying their cars at the Invitational Auto Show, and where your cars are scheduled to be parked.  I deleted the email from Dave saying who you are, so I don't know your names.  If you look in your Exhibitor's Packet for your entry number, you'll find your entry number in a box on the layout page of the Convention Center.  This is where your car is scheduled to be parked.  I am entry number 2-214.

Mark   mjh
'57 Fury (Mr. Finzzz)