Re: [FWDLK] canister old filter

..What Paul Holmgren said.....

I have owed my 57 Dodge since late 1980, and began changing its oil
filter in 1981.

Except for the fact the cannister can not pass-by the hemi valve cover
(you just lay it over, to the side, on the frame rail, while you insert
the cartride into it) I have never had any
unusual, or upsetting occurrence during an oil change.

Regarding the thin rubber base gasket, years ago I got the bright idea
to examine it, for any sign of failure, and then, simply to re-use it,
as it will have taken a very nice set-impression, from the cannister
edge-connection.

Even when I have inserted a new gasket, as Bill Amberger suggested, I
just make sure that it's
sitting flat, inside the base of the oil module
whatever-its-called.

If there is any "trick" , in installing the cannister, it would merely
be a relatively slow, gentle hand- turning of the cannister, to make
certain that it is mating to the base of the module, and that the rubber
gasket is not moving out of position , in the module.

Once the cannister is hand-tight (and hand-tightening allows your
fingers to confirm that all-is-well, with the operation) you can use a
wrench, to complete the tightening down procedure.

I have done a lot of mechanical mods to my car during the past 27 years
(including the installation of a liquid-cooled transmission, and dual
resevoir master cylinder) , but I have NEVER felt the need to replace
the simple-and-effective oil filter sytem .

NOW: if something were to BREAK, or, the cartridges were no longer
available,  over-the-counter, I probably would look into changing the
system.

Until then: if it ain't broke, or not a safety-performance issue/mod,
"it"  stays on my car! (and an  OEM oil cannister doesn't fit those
criteria)

Neil Vedder