Re: [FWDLK] Restoring the '57 Plymouth Waking from Time Capsule

Re: [FWDLK] Restoring the '57 Plymouth Waking from Time Capsule

In a message dated 6/17/2007 9:06:57 PM Eastern Daylight Time, hurst300@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
it doesn't matter if Tulsa made money or
not, I have not seen a post from anyone who was sorry they went. For
the group it was a "Meet and Greet"

Ray..You are absolutely correct.  I believe it was probably a loss for Tulsa.  Think of all of the overtime for the police to keep us from falling into the pit at 2:00 am on Thursday or getting run over in traffic looking at the MoPars going by and not watching our behinds. And they did it with a friendly attitude.  My wife picked her favorite cop for a friendly positive attitude. The sock hop had to be a loss for the city since if even 1500 to 2000 were there @ $5.00 that wouldn't have paid for the stage and light show. And what a fabulous show that was. All those great 50s and early 60s tunes performed by Fabian, Bobby Vee and the Chiffon's.

Tulsa did a fabulous job of making us feel welcome. They shared the experience and never kept us out of the celebration.  Many of the city lamp posts have Tulsarama posters with the Belvedere on it...talk about making you proud if you owned a 57-58 Plymouth.  And when Miss Belvedere came out showing her age they didn't make any bad remarks about her but just called her "our girl regardless" and accepted the blame. The Tulsa World newspaper from Thursday June 14 shows chairwoman Sharon Davis, at the capsule site, emotionally distraught when she discovered it was in water.

I think the Chevy and Ford guys were amazed a car could be in the water that long and still stand tall.   We finally got respect. I even heard Boyd say that at the unveiling.  "She is our girl and should stay like she is." I may be off by a word or two in getting the quote correct since I do not have the transcript but in essence he did say that. So perhaps we should quit beating on Coddington's participation.  Tulsa didn't know and some people I met thought he added a necessary celebrity air to the event. I saw some of you guys go up to meet him. I mean Jay Leno didn't come even though rumors predicted he would be at the unveiling. Let's not make our host city feel bad!   Our kids have a Plymouth Prowler to unearth in Tulsa in 2048.

I want the others to weigh in if you attended.. I think that was the best all around entertaining MoPar event I ever attended. Our Route 66 group side trip on Thursday was alot of fun.
We had near 10 foreign countries represented and the media on Friday rivaled a NASA launch.  For example NBC had their big satellite truck up from Dallas. Must have seen about 5 other similar trucks for live broadcast.  And I haven't heard anybody mention the near 75 Plymouth Prowlers that showed up for the tribute.

Did we notice the city's class by having a honor guard of motorcycle police taking the still wrapped Miss Belvedere to the arena? Pretty cool.  We all have great pictures and I am sure most of you have seen them but being there was priceless.

That's my story.

Marv

See what's free at AOL.com.