Re: [FWDLK] '57 Plymouth Waking from Time Capsule - The Car Connection

Re: [FWDLK] '57 Plymouth Waking from Time Capsule - The Car Connection

Responding enroute home, from Winfield, KS, Roger you're half right.  It really never was about '57 Plymouths, or even cars at all.  It was, for them, about Tulsa and about Oklahoma.  But I don't believe it was at all about money either.

There were so many marketing plums available this past week that just were not taken advantage of by the Tulsarama folks.  I'm certain I'm not the only one who would've been willing to spend lots of $$ on souvenirs of the kind they made available in 1957 - junk like reproduced historical photos, buttons, coins, bumper stickers, all the trinkets that events like this used to produce.  The Tulsarama T-shirts were the most poorly made design there.  The only T-shirts I bought came from the outdoor vendors.

So, Roger, since you weren't there, I would say that you may want to stick to the facts.  Tulsa made some money on this event - this FANTASTIC event, I might add - but they really missed the boat on this opportunity.  There were so many little things they could've done and really made a killing money wise, but lacked the foresight to get them done ahead of time.  Most of the people I asked about this - organizers and such - just shrugged their shoulders or said they really didn't believe people would turn out in the numbers they did.

Oh, and I did see a photo of the second car given away at the Tulsa Historical booth.  It looked to me like a Belvedere four-door sedan.

Mark   mjh
'57 Fury - on my way home to Oregon!

Jan & Roger van Hoy <vanhilla@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Yes, but not identical... as the winner said, it was the bottom of the line, a Plaza two door sedan.

What bugs me about the Tul$a money-making thing is that for the past 50 years they haven't given a s - - - about old cars or collecting, only about how to make money off the tourists.  As our fearless leader Dave S. said, it was never about "us," the car collectors, it was always about them.

--Roger van Hoy, Washougal, WA, '55 DeSoto, '58 DeSoto, '56 Plymouth, '66 Plymouth, '41 Dodge