[FWDLK] Fwd: Re: [FWDLK] 1955 power steering leak

[FWDLK] Fwd: Re: [FWDLK] 1955 power steering leak

Nice thread-info, here.

A  few years ago,when it appeared that my 57 Dodge's P/S gearbox was
leaking,  like-a-sieve, from its lower seal, rather than risk something
bad happening to the car's P/S gearbox, if/when it might be sent to a
rebuilder (Lares Corp, as it turned out), I bought a wrecking yard
gearbox & had it be sent to Lares, which overhauled IT (excellently) &
sent it to me, so, all I had to do was have it be installed in my car, &
it has worked flawlessly.

My question is: what would Lares have repaired/adjusted/replaced as part
of their overhaul (of a 'wasted'  w.y. gearbox) , which might also be
nice-or-needed to do, on anyone else's leaking gearbox?

In other words, does replacing that leaking lower seal constitute a
complete system repair, or is/are there other components which should be
checked and/or repaired, as long as that lower seal is leaking, anyway,
and something needs to be done, to the gearbox????

I presume, that when Lares received that nasty w.y. gearbox, that they
should have "gone" completely through it, instead of merely doing a
seal-replacement operation.

Again,. I am COMPLETELY satisfied with the (expensive) end-result, but
wonder what, exactly,  Lares did do, internally to that w.y. gearbox,
and whether anyone here, should consider doing anything more, to their
gearboxes,  beyond  merely replacing that lower seal.

Neil Vedder