[FWDLK] Synopsis of Tulsarama trip

If you are tired of reading about Tulsarama by now, go ahead and hit the - Delete - key, because I just got home yesterday, and I, like everyone else who got home ahead of me, want to share my experiences.

I think I win First Prize for Last One To Get Home, except for maybe some of our overseas friends who are touring the country first.

First I want to say that Tulsarama, despite of (or maybe because of) the condition of Miss Belvedere, was everything I hoped it would be, and then some.  I would've done a couple of things different than they did, but not many, and not the big things.  Even Coddington's presence helped, even if I don't care for the man personally.  I only occasionally got to check email on the way home in motels that had computers available to guests for a few minutes.  So I don't know what eveyone has said, but I know the tone has been very upbeat from attendees, and probably Eeyoreish (is that a word?) from non-attendees who are now jealous and wished they had gone.

I learned a few things on this trip:
  •         A good trailer goes a long way.  Literally.  I thank God no bad things happened to Mr. Finzzz the whole trip!  It was 4500 miles when we got home.
  •         There seems to be a law Down Under that says men must all have Buddy Repperton sideburns.  Everyone I met from south of the Equator was aweseome.  Loved finally meeting Glenn Barrett and his lovely lady Michelle (Thanks again for the MoPar brand Breakfast Oil - the most unique and wonderful souvenir from this trip!!!).
  •         Neil Vedder talks in real life just like his emails.  He doesn't mean to put some people out when he types, and I've learned to appreciate it more.  When you talk to him you can just see the parentheses and quote marks in his conversation, which is kind of cool because he's not doing it on purpose, it's just how it comes out!
  •         Seven '57 Furys in one place at one time, and what, 15 '56-58s altogether???  Even the old-timers were saying that's more than ever before, except maybe for when they left the factory.  More than Hershey or Carlisle, more than GFS meets . . . and how many Mopar fin cars the whole week?  Hundreds, for sure!
  •         It pays to get there early.  I got there Tuesday afternoon, and a small contingent of us walked to the vault early Wednesday in time to see them - unannounced - lift the lid to the vault and we all got those early photos and cool, if cheesy, media interviews.
  •         Clive from England hates to be called "Cleeve".  But he's a good sport about it.  So many great people were there.  Some were less vocal than others, but usually had great stories about their cars.  Collin from England (I think), with whom I watched the unveiling, was one.  Andrew Sharpe was another.  He's from Australia, bought a '61 Windsor in Washington, had it shipped to San Francisco, and is still now driving all around the country in it!
  •         Good timing has its rewards.  I was fortunate enough to be interviewed a few times, and I understand the footage they showed at the unveiling of me will probably be contained in the documentary DVD they put out, according to Charlie the videographer.  Also, I'm told Mr. Finzzz will be appearing in a feature in Mopar Collector's Guide in a few months along with their coverage of this event.
  •         Good people are everywhere.  We ran out of gas once during the whole trip (we came close several times).  Of all places to have it happen, it was one mile out of Greensburg, KS.  According to my Atlas, Greensburg is home to the World's Largest Hand-Dug Well.  We didn't know it when we coasted to a stop, but it's the same Greensburg, KS that was 90% destroyed by a tornado in May.  Despite the only buildings up were city hall and a bar, and FEMA warnings, the gentleman with the only surviving gas station filled us up.  He lost his wife and brother to the tornado.  The well is still there - at least the hole is.
  •         You can find Mopar parts in the strangest places.  I found a nice Mopar polishing cloth and tin for next to nothing in the front window of an insurance company in Wray, CO.  And I found the same 1957 Tulsa commemarative coin that Steve (he who had signed the Belvedere's tire in 1957 that we all met) had at a 90 year old's antique shop in Winfield, KS.
  •         You never know who you will meet when staring at a '57 Fury convertible.  One night in the Doubletree parking garage, I was drooling over Dale Frahm's car with a couple of strangers.  After a bit, we introduced each other.  It was Kevin Casey!  Kevin is from Texas, and about 10 years ago I sold him a factory red/white '58 Belvedere with factory black/white interior - a true Christine!  He bought it sight unseen for -back then- a nice profit for me.  Of course today it's about 10% what the same car would sell for.
  •         When necessary, you can drive a long way.  I was fortunate enough to have my father and wife drive home with me.  Dad and I took turns driving (he's the one who ran out of gas, not me!!)Unfortunately, while in Wyoming my dad wrenched his back and could barely walk - with the help of a broom I packed that he used as a cane - much less drive.  So while dad very slowly swept the parking lot of every gas station we stopped to go to the bathroom at, I drove most of the way home.
  •         The West's worst roads are in Utah and Oklahoma.  We joked (non-politically correctly) that Utah must repair their roads with a bunch of Indians using a can of tar and a case of beer, and Oklahoma imported those same Utes to fix their roads.  Whenever we hit a bad patch that's who we blamed it on.  Sorry if this offends anyone.  The roads in those two states are BAAAAD.
  •         In life, you mostly regret the big things you didn't do and should've.  I may never meet most of you people I met face-to-face in Tulsa ever again, since I am so far removed from the big shows and events.  But this once-in-a-lifetime trip for me was so worth it.  Thank you to Roger Van Hoy for giving up his Doubletree reservation to me.  Thank you to Marv Raguse, John Paxos,  and other knowledgeable '57 Fury people, from whom I finally was able to get a realistic evaluation on how accurately I restored Mr. Finzzz.  Thank you to Dave Stragand, the center of all things Forward Look, and his lovely wife Juley.  NO REGRETS!!!
Mark   mjh
'57 Fury - Mr. Finzzz
Sutherlin, OR