Re: [FWDLK] 6 and 12 volt starters

    I think the stock starter has what it takes to start your engine, parts are available at Rock Auto, be sure to clean between the commutator segments if you do it yourself, I use a hacksaw blade broken off and ground to a point on the teeth side to drag between the segments to remove any conductive material. When you tighten the brushes, be sure they remain flat on the commutator, brush seating stones are available to speed the seating of the brushes
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, July 03, 2007 9:01 AM
Subject: [FWDLK] 6 and 12 volt starters

All,

I have a hard cranking engine and the starter needs a rebuild or a replacement. I am considering a new/rebuilt 12 volt gear reduction starter or a new/rebuilt 6 volt starter if it fits and would work. The application is a 56 plymouth plaza P-29 3 speed with 277 v8. The car has a stock 12v system. A few questions...

Will a 6 volt starter work on this 12 v system without creating other problems?
Will it spin faster and provide enough torque to crank the engine powerfully?
What application should I look for (I expect a 54 or 55 from a 270?)?

If I choose to replace the starter with a 12v gear reduction starter, does anyone know of any good sources to obtain a replacement.

If I choose to rebuild the starter, does anyone know of any good sources to obtain the replacement parts/specifications.

From your experience, which of these is probably the best option?

I'm in Villa Park, IL just outside of Chicago.
Thanks to all and have a wonderful Independence Day.
Matt

PS: is PSU.EDU Penn state? I was just at a plastic injection seminar at the Behrand campus about 1 month ago. Just curious.