[FWDLK] origin of MoPar

This subject just came up in the 300 group this morning and I Happened to remember this write-up inside the original parts binder logo glass set which was issued by Chrysler in the late 80's as I remember.

Some interesting additional trivia but bottom line is that Chrysler thinks that they started using the MoPar logo in 37. Would have sworn it was a few years before that but---

Sounds like the origin of mr. tech is included here but not stated as such.

Here is the official Chrysler writeup which was inside volume I.

The Evolution of a Trademark

From 1933 to 1937 Chrysler Motor Parts featured a logo with the letters C,
P, D and D, for Chrysler, Plymouth, Dodge and DeSoto. This led to the Mopar trademark becoming one of the most familiar trademarks in automotive history. However, we’ll bet you didn’t know that it evolved from a group of unlikely characters that included a genius, a camel and a robot.

The genius was Nelson I. Farley, Chrysler Division’s sales promotional manager in the 1930s. Farley had established a “think tank” called the Activities Council, whose purpose was to brainstorm new merchandising ideas and report them to him.

In the spring of 1937, this activities council was working on the creation of a product name to put on cans of Chrysler Motor Parts antifreeze that was being used in their cars. The group, after many suggestions, came up with a simple name that would be easy to remember: a combination of the words motors and parts – hence the word…MOPAR.

Now Chrysler needed a logotype for the trade name. The first attempt, created by a man named Burke Bartlett, was a bright purple logo arranged in a vertical arrow. Farley immediately rejected it because he didn’t like the downward pointing arrow or the use of the color purple.

The next design became one of the most famous and distinctive trademarks of the century, the unique signpost of the Chrysler Parts Division.

The Activities Council then came up with a way to introduce the new acronym to the public. They created a character named “Mr. Mopar” who made his first debut in the form of a camel.

In 1937 the Shriners national convention came to Detroit, and Chrysler Corporation’s Parts Division was creating a corporate float for the opening parade. A camel seemed to fit right in. The float was made up of piston rings, cylinders, push rods, oil pans, etc. Of course, the camel needed someone to lead it.

A year or two earlier, a man named Vern Dupuis had made a small “mechanical man” fashioned out of parts. The group found this mechanical man, named him “ACCY,” an abbreviation for accessory, and put him in front of the camel. An employee in full Moslem dress sat atop the camel and the float was a big hit.

Eleven years later when Dupuis was in the Merchandising and Development Department he modified “ACCY” into a moving and speaking robot and renamed him “Mr. Mopar.” A later version of this robot made television appearances from coast to coast.

Today, the familiar Pentastar and Mopar signature in process blue is seen on the package designs and labeling of more than 40,000 quality-engineered original equipment replacement parts.

So what’s in a name? An entire history. If the name is “Mopar,” it stands for “Motor” and “Parts” and quality engineering. The color of the name, like Chrysler, is always blue.

(source: inner cover of box that looks like a “MoPar Passenger Car Parts List” and contains Chrysler logo glasses from 1933-1958.)