Re: [FWDLK] rejected & ignored

The story of car salesmen ignoring customers is legend in my family. In 1956, my grandmother's cousin was visiting our family in North Hollywood, CA . The cousin, like my grandmother, was a native of Poland and a prodigy at the piano.

My Dad and Mr. Spielman were painting the exterior of our house  when Mr. Spielman told my Dad he wanted to buy a new car to finish his trip from Florida which, to this point, had been by rail. So both of them went to Greer-Robbins Chrysler in Beverly Hills to buy a new Imperial. And, yes, their clothes had the chrome yellow paint from the house all over.their pants and shirts.

Upon arriving at the dealership, no one would help them. They were looking at a 56 Imperial Southampton 4 door that was loaded with air and wire wheels. The car was a light blue. Finally, the Chrysler salesmen convinced the young Plymouth salesman to see the 2 painters; one carrying a brown paper lunch bag.

Mr. Spielman asked if the car was serviced and ready to go?  Yes, all our showroom cars are ready to drive, stated the salesman. How much? I'll check, said the young man. Returning from the offie, he quoted $6600.00 with license and tax. Mr. Spielman opened his lunch bag and counted out 66 one hundred dollar bills. My Dad said the _expression_ on the Chrysler salesmen's faces was priceless.

Who was Mr. Spielman -- Did you see the movie "The Pianist"? Mr. Spielman was the pianist depicted in the movie. He had survived the holocaust by playing the piano.

Sherwood Kahlenberg