Re: [FWDLK] polishing glass scratches

The '56 DeSoto we restored has terrible scratches in the back glass;  Eastwood's light polishing kit couldn't touch them, so we bought the more aggressive kit, and it was worthless too, on the back glass.  The owner of the DeSoto found this same site, Wayne, so I called them and explained my plight.  They were familiar with Eastwood's products (told me that Eastwood's aggressive kit is basically a repackaged 3M product....)   Janvil's tech rep told me that if the Eastwood product couldn't get my scratches out, then their product probably wouldn't, either.

From reading the Janvil website, it certainly rang true that the surface of the tempered back glass is very hard.  The tech rep actually complimented the quality of the DeSoto glass based on my description of the Eastwood products (lack) of performance.

Side glass and front glass is not as hard on the surface, and is more receptive to polishing.  We have spent quite a bit of time polishing with Eastwood's product on front glass, and I don't have any worry about creating heat.  The product needs to remain wet, and that in and of itself helps keep heat down.  We spin the buffer with a drill motor, which is relatively slow.

The whole process though, is terribly time consuming, and somewhat frustrating in its results.

Tim Bowers
Stellar Antique Auto Restorations
Windom, KS
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, August 18, 2007 8:16 PM
Subject: [FWDLK] polishing glass scratches

I'm aware of the glass polishing kit from Eastwood for windshield scratches and that Gary Goers basically offers the same thing.  Its cerium oxide and a buff whether you buy it here or there.

But I found this on the internet advertised as the only stuff that can be used by hand and wondered if anyone has tried it.
Anyone?

Glass shops have told me on a vintage windshield they would rather not machine polish because the heat can crack that old glass and they don't want the liability.  I figure since they are supposed to know what they are doing, I'd probably stand a good chance of breaking a windshield if I go after some well-aged wiper scratches.

Any feedback about this?

Wayne