Re: [FWDLK] nice 57 Dodge Coronet on EBay

Re: [FWDLK] nice 57 Dodge Coronet on EBay

A few years ago, we took our Charger to the Chryslers at Carlisle show, now
known as the All Chrysler Nationals.  I told my wife for weeks how it would
finally be nice for "her" original car to receive the recognition it deserved.
You know what happened. All around us were cars in various states of
correctness.  The winner in the category was a nice Charger with fancy
aftermarket wheels and wide tires with a lot of chromed pieces under the hood.
Penni was devastated.  I was pissed.  I don't think I will get over it.

    ***********************************

Bravo, Tom!  Well said.

I take my 57 Dodge to several car shows a year, and it has won its share of accolades.  It has period appropriate but incorrect upholstery, the turquoise and white paint is a change from its original gold/white, and it has several other minor, unoriginal features when it was reclaimed and refurbished in the 1990?s.  IMHO, no car should be in a survivor tent if it has had any restoration, refurbishment, or updating done to it.  (OK, tires!!).

Since I am not fond of customized cars, lead sleds, and hot rodded cars, it irks me when I see one of these weird  wonders carry off the trophies when carefully preserved and restored/refurbished/original cars are passed over because they are not snazzy or sexy enough.  But, life is unfair.

I didn?t buy my car to win trophies, I bought it to enjoy.  A ?thumbs up? on the street is more gratifying to me than a metal-tinted plastic tchachkey that sits on my mantle and has to be dusted.

Tony Boatman

Boise, Idaho

57 Dodge CRL D500

69 Barracuda Convertible

    There are few things I respect more in a person than a devoted passion, coupled with a selfless drive to do honorable things.

    Conversely, nothing pukes me out faster than the self-promoting types of braggarts and boobs we all know and love so well.  Unfortunately, within a subject such as ownership / appreciation for something so stand-out as a 50's car, there are many of this latter type attracted to these cars because it draws attention, and consequently it draws attention to the person.  And boobs of a feather, flock together !

    Trophies and ribbons are nothing more than gold colored, sparkly landfill garbage meant to "wow" the simpler minds over some sort of "look at ME!" achievement.  So what ?  You amass a case full of crap as some sort of payoff for car show attendance ?  No thanks, .... I'll get off this bus right now.

    Sure, we all like a degree of recognition for all the work we can put into our cars, but to seek that "jolly" in the form of competition against the crowd easily amused by chrome and sparkle is self-defeating, at the very least.  You have to go into it deeper than that, or you are destined for disappointment.

    I am with Tony.  The BIG payoff is the smile you put on some oldtimer's face, the Grandma who comes over to tell you about the experience she had buying a similar car back in 58, or the kid who is thrilled to see your car.  All this is a whole lot easier to dust and takes up less room too !  But it really is what separates the people I truly respect and all those other folks who do not do it for selfless reasons.

    I will never do a car show again.  I may go to them, I may even take my car.  But it will always be left outside the gate, over by the edge.  People can enjoy it if they please, but that is it.  No trophies, no ribbons, no attitude.  Just keep it for fun and nothing more.

    Enjoy your car.  Enjoy the fact that it brings warmth and goodness and fond memories to others.  Do it because it makes you happy to bring joy to others.  What could be more rewarding than that ?  When you lie dying at the end of your journey, what will bring peace to your soul, ... trophies won, or joy brought to others ?

    Just a thought.