[FWDLK] Book Reports....

Was in L.A. this weekend, & stopped into the Pasadena Barnes & Noble
bookstore.

Saw a NEAT "coffee table" book: "Shop America; Mid Century Store Front
Design", by Taschen, published by Heiman & Heller ($50.00; not on the
'sale' racks).

My library is overflowing, so I didn't buy it, but for anyone interested
(& who ISN'T??) in Mid-Century styling, this book would appear to be an
essenntial addition.

However, the wife found, & bought (now, on the sale-rack, for about
$7.98; after showing it to me, to make sure that I didn't already have
it): Volume TWO, of the "Googie, Fifties Coffee Shop Architecture" ;
this one is called "Redux"
(also by Alan Hess; Chronicle books [probably] ).

I thumbed through it, as it's gonna be an Xmas present; we do that; find
something we like, but save "opening" it, til xmas, and found that it is
supplemental to the first volume (which I have just about memorized!) .

I don't know if Vol 1 is still in print, but it's for-sure available on
used book store-sites.

Vol 1 was published in 1985, and sold for $14.95 (softbound, like Vol 2
is ).

Neil Vedder