Re: [FWDLK] disc brakes

In a message dated 8/27/2007 12:12:39 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, DBlackmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Does anyone know exactly how to adjust the brakes on a 57 DeSoto Firesweep.  I went to the manual it states using the adjusting BOLT, but I remember at one time my father using a screwdriver to do the adjustment at the bottom of the backing plate, I don’t see a hole to do this with.

I just finished adjusting the brakes on my 1957 Chrysler, and I am sure that they are the same.  I believe that the cams are 9/16" or so, use a socket wrench and a hinge bar, or maybe a box end wrench.  The "Brake spoon" (Or screwdriver) is used on other brands of cars to turn a "Star wheel" to expand the brake shoes.

Front wheels:
Looking at the brake backing plate from the inner side of the wheel you will see one adjusting cam bolt on the front side  of the wheel, and one on the rear side.  Turn these frontward, (With wheel rotation) one cam at a time until the wheel locks, then turn them rearward just until the wheel turns with a very slight drag.  It takes very slight amount of turn to release them.

Rear Wheels:
The two adjusting cams are at the top center of the wheel, because one energizes with front motion and the other with rear motion.  The front one adjusts like the front wheels, to the front, but the rear one must be turned toward the rear to adjust it.

This sounds complicated but it is actually very intuitive when you are doing it.

If you don't understand, I can probably scan the manual page for you.

USE GOOD STANDS, DON'T TRUST A JACK WHEN YOU ARE UNDER THE CAR!

Joe Savard
Lake Orion, Michigan