[FWDLK] The Exner Era @ the University of Notre Dame

FORWARD LOOK AUTO DESIGN:

                                    THE EXNER ERA

Presented by the University of Notre Dame  /  Department of Art, Art History & Design

September 29th, 2007

This past weekend we were fortunate to attend the wonderful Exner Era tribute at Notre Dame University.  Peter Grist, author of the much anticipated biography “Virgil Exner- Visioneer”, was present to sign copies of his book and present an Exner lecture at the Snite Museum on Saturday evening.  A special Exner designed poster was also available signed by Virgil Exner Jr.  The tribute was certainly possible only through the efforts of Professor Paul Down of the Department of Art, Art History & Design. His recognition of the need to do something extraordinary to honor both famous alumni - Virgil Exner Sr. and Virgil Jr., led to this event.

A special dinner was held at the Morris Inn on Campus to thank all who supported the event through cars or material.  In attendance also were a few famous people in Virgil Jr’s.life.

 After the dinner all guests departed for the Snite Museum for the Grist lecture. After Peter’s presentation, Virgil took the podium to present his comments and slides on his father’s legacy.  A Q&A followed.  At the lecture, Peter Grist presented two beautiful plaques honoring Virgil Sr. to both the University’s Department of Design and to Buchanan High School. The plaques provided not only a brief history of the man but also his classic posed image as well as a prominent forward look emblem; a very considerate gift on the part of Mr. Grist.

But the main event was the 9:00 am to 4:00 pm public display and presentation of Exner Era work.  Professor Paul Down commenced the event with his presentation of the Exner contribution both to automobile design and Mr Exner’s contribution to the school in the 1950s. Lectures and automobile industry discussions continued all day.  All of the invited vehicles were displayed in the Stepan Hall, a unique geodesic dome on the north campus. Twelve significant vehicles and the display of Exner artwork were arranged in Stepan Hall on the North Campus for the public and students to review.

What was unusual about this event was the opportunity to see vehicles that heretofore most had only seen in pictures.  I took particular pleasure in seeing Virgil Jr.'s Simca creation from about 1955 which embodied the front end styling features of the 1963 Stingray.  My favorite was General Lyon's Mercer Cobra which Virgil Sr. produced in1964 for the Copper Development Company;  a then widely advertised retro design based on his favored long hood short deck concept. Other notables included Ele Chesney’s 1954 Plymouth Belmont, a 1965 Bugatti 101CX, a 1970 Stutz, 1949 Studebaker Starlight Sedan, .

The Chrysler Museum, through the efforts of Brandt Rosenbusch, provided three Exner era vehicles, a 1955 Dodge La Femme, a 1957 Plymouth Belvedere, and a 1955 Chrysler C-300.  I brought my Gauguin red 1957 300 C. Virgil Exner Jr also had a 2007 Chrysler 300 on display for a comparison to his father’s style.

On a celebrity note, Jay Leno, who could not attend due to a commitment, chose to have one of his associates there to capture the occasion and bring a few copies of the book home for him.  Outside the hall, the Stutz club held their meet.

I want to thank Professor Down and his staff for providing the forum for the excellent tribute to our hero of design.

Please be sure to pick up a copy of Peter Grist’s book and if you are inclined to send a message of how many of us are out here, please order it from the University Book store at Notre Dame University.  <eFollett.com> and search under the title of general books. Key words of Grist and Exner will provide ordering instructions. It is worth the investment.  In this way it will help them meet their expenses as well as show the tremendous interest that exists for the man.  Professor Down commented that the book store was at first skeptical of the success of the book signing but by Saturday morning the sales had far exceeded all expectations.  Many were seen buying three or more copies.

In summary the event was the most excellent way to meet the man who worked with his father during those incredible Forward Look creative years. Virgil Exner Jr. was available throughout the day to talk to all of his and his father’s fans.

For more information and pictures on the event please go to <http://info.detnews.com/joyrides/story/index.cfm?id=694>

Open the icon on the left of the page for more pictures of the event and of Virgil.

Marv Raguse