Re: [FWDLK] 1957 Chrysler "300" on Collector Car Trader Online..."dull"

Re: [FWDLK] 1957 Chrysler "300" on Collector Car Trader Online..."dull" 300s

Yes breeds as in thoroughbreds. I agree it is all a matter of opinion and personal taste but I have to say you are the first I?ve come across to describe the 300 as ?dull?. Again I suppose some regard genuine tan leather as classy, others prefer multi-colored cloth. Of course in most year 300?s you could special order nearly any color interior or exterior you wanted. The whole idea of the 300 was to keep it clean, it was a performance car, not the chrome laden barges that many 50?s cars became, thus the lack of side trim. Again a matter of opinion, some like as much die-cast and stainless jewelry hanging off the sides of their cars as possible.

    I would (and do) say that when compared to a comparable Fireflite, the color sweep, interior fabrics (and colors) make the 300 appear sedate.  Sedate translates to "not as exciting", or even dull.  It would be like comparing a 56 Carribean to a Clipper, only in the Mopar case, the model status is reversed.  I well know that the idea was to "keep it clean".  The car was a smashing success at that.  And don't get me wrong, I like 300's all good and fine like any FL car.  I am just a little "yucked" out by the pompous guys who think 300's are the only FL car worthy of attention, meanwhile they lack (at least for me) the colors and fabrics that were so uniquely 50's.  I leave the "chrome laden barge" moniker for cars like the 58 GM lineup and other oddities like 57-9 Mercurys.  I even like them for what they are, but no FL car reached barge status like those bulky cars.

300?s are everywhere, dozens of them at every local car show, many for sale, they just can?t get rid of them?

    Honestly ?  I can find you dozens of 300 C convertibles residing in the US today.  Compared to a 58 Fireflite ragtop or a 58 CR convertible, they are common.  The fact that they had limited variation between cars when compared to a Dodge, makes them kind of run together.  80% were white, another 10% were either black or red.  They just about ALL got the same interior.  That doesn't get repetitive ?  Having dual quads simply doesn't outweigh the plain-ness on the other points.  How is this any more a thoroughbred than a well optioned NY'er or Fireflite ?  They all performed to such a level that most drivers could not push them to the point of showing a serious difference - and certainly not legally.  I have been chasing FL cars since the mid-70's.  I have seen no less than twenty 57 C convertibles in shows or garages.  In that same time, I have seen ONE 57 NY'er ragtop.  You tell me which is more common.

That custom was on ebay a year or two back NOT advertised as a 300, if memory serves me correct the vin came back as NYer?..but it was a while ago and I could be wrong.

    If that car IS a 300, it wears a Windsor-NY'er nose clip.  One more stout expense to lay out if one were to restore this beast as a 300.

Nicely done customs are all good. We all like different things for different reasons, I kind of like the front on view of this car, the hood and chopped windshield but that?s about it.

All my personal opinion. Value 2 cents.

Owen

300 owner

    I trust your interest in 300's is sincere and that your car/s are beautiful.  Afterall, they ARE Forward Look cars, right ?  I would not trade my Fireflite for a 300 if offered.  That is just where MY taste lies.  I am pleased there are people loving 300's as much as I am about them loving lowly Plaza sedans.  Both have their admirable points.  Nags to thoroughbreds, all FL cars are special, and one man's nag is another man's thoroughbred.  It all depends on your taste and priorities.

    B.