Re: [FWDLK] 56 D500-1 Racing

I  really like to hear the stories from people who were around back in 56. I get to hear from people all the time. Jim Talbot of Tennessee was a very memorable contact I made several years back. He was at Daytona Speed Weeks  and had some very cool memories about that event, saw Danny Eames and Tim Flock making their record setting runs. Even more interesting he was at the Ohio race which was called the World Series of Drag Racing, in which the Super Stock Class  was won by Ed Lyons. Jim said a lot of big high profile GM guys were there and became very upset that the D500-1 Dodge was so Dominant, it was almost 10 mph faster than the best they had and with every winning run Ed made that day people were shaking their heads in disbelief. They resorted to making up excuses and never gave Ed his due according to Jim. Attitudes counted for a lot at those events and if you were not favored you could be dismissed as a fluke or cheater. By all accounts Ed was neither and was smoking the competition wherever he went. While this was a new class and it was not part of the NHRA it was the first documented stock car to exceed 100 mph in the quarter mile. In contrast a 57 Chevy took the 57 Super Stock Title with a speed of 99 MPH. Jim also went to NASCAR races and other motor sport events as well and it was great to hear these accounts, the world was a bit bigger back then and eyewitnesses are sometimes the only accounts for events of these days. I Hope Jim is doing well. Tim in Golden