[FWDLK] Drag racing FWDLKs

Hot Rod Magazine gave the 1960 300F coupe, stock with Torqueflight, a 16 second quarter in 1960.  I never got to time my F in 1964 before freezing the 413 solid between Lovelock and Winnemucca NV and having it return to the SF Bay Area on a hook.  I traded it in on a 62 Polara 500 four door hardtop with all power, a/c and the 305 horse 361.  After the honeymoon, my business partner and I took it to the Half Moon Bay Drag Strip to see what it could do.  My third run was a 16:00 flat and this from a newby to the art of dragging.  Just plant both feet on pedals, wait for the green and let off one.  My partner was sure he could get into the high 15's as he was convinced he was better then anybody at anything.  About 40 feet out the tranny came undone oiling up the strip big time.  They were not happy with us nor was my new bride happy that I needed to spend almost our entire savings (!) for a transmission rebuild.  16 seconds was pretty quick considering that my 61 D500 ram inducted 383 sedan only could do .9 second quicker.  Wonderful days, wonderful cars.

Larry Jett PO Box 465 Newark CA 94560

1948 Chrysler Street Rod
1952 Plymouth Suburban
1957 300C rag