From: Forward Look Mopar Discussion List
[mailto:L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of eastern sierra Adj Services
Sent: Thursday, November 01, 2007 9:52 PM
To: L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [FWDLK] ...I Ain't afraid of no Ghosts (or: Mythology Ain't
what it used to be)

Roger, the mythology surrounding 1956 race D500s (and to some extent,
regular D500s, too) concerns  varying extents of exaggeration,
regarding the cars' acceleration capability and/or racing results.

I have seen claims of under 13 second quarter miles, IIRC, for the
D-500-1 .

Most recently, good friend Dan Reitz has written here to claim that his
camshaft-
modified 56 D500 recorded 15.3 e.t.(s).

I could accept 16.3 , on a great day.

BTW, as a sneak-preview on tomorrow's essay, I will point out that the
factory-supported,  race-prepped/expert-driven (probably with X-number
of trial runs) 56 D-500-1 race car's Daytona-"times"  would have
resulted  in a  FOURTH place finish, in 1957, very similarly to the 4th
place finishes as accomplished by two rank amateurs, who drove to the
Beach, alone, in their brand-new-purchased, D501's, and who had no trial
runs in their cars, and who had no fine-tuning or adjustments on their
cars, prior to their runs. They then drove back home, afterwards.

The fact that the D501's were so powerful, but only able to score 4th
place finishes in the Standing, and in the Flying, mile-runs speaks
volumes about how poorly prepared, and/or driven, the cars really were.

Regarding the Standing Mile run, the 3-speed trannie probably was a
handful to operate, quickly, by an amateur.

Neil Vedder