Re: [FWDLK] Limited Slip in 56

Regarding Tim's inquiry into limited slip transmiisions usage by Kiekaefer, in/on the Motor Life interview-article, about why he quit racing, I quoted all that K had to say, in referencing his cars'
successes  in NASCAR racing.

He praised his team's development of wider wheels and dry-type air cleaners, but he said nothing else, about any other modifications (like the extra-long fuel-filler tube, which permitted more gas to be filled---but, maybe that mod was quickly/universally applied, by other teams.)

As he was VERY-out of racing, he wouldn't have cared about bragging about any other developments that he would have instigated, or exploited, but, he said nothing about using/developing/exploiting a limited slip differential in his race cars (altho, as Tim points out, his car(s) may have had them be installed) ----but, I don't know to what extent "locking" limited slip differentials were developed or in use , or, whether one or both locked or limited slip diffies were permitted in NASCAR, or NHRA (in its Stock classes), in the late 1950's.

Neil Vedder

DupontTim@xxxxxxx wrote:
Looking through old magazines I found a note that limited slip was being allowed in mid 56 NASCAR racing . The writer pointed out that although a Kiekhaefer Chrysler had broke an axle it was still able to drive to the pits. The note stated that this was a limited slip type axle and locking axles were not allowed. Did anyone know this? I thought that it was a 57 Development. Tim