Re: [FWDLK] DOG, and 150 Ponies show!

This or any other reputable calculator should not be so lightly dismissed.  These simple programs obviously do not take all factors into consideration.  But, they do provide an ideal situation based on ideal conditions.  Yup, leaving a one legged 50' long tire stripe will throw the calculations off.  But this discussion has turned into "What was possible", since there are no extant records.  Driver skill will approach the ideal, but I don't believe it will surpass it.

I have fooled with the same GTX for over 28 years.  Tuning and practice all make a difference, but it is an incremental difference of tenths or hundredths of seconds.  That will win or lose the race, but most similar cars driven in a similar manner will have similar terminal speeds, since that is a function of HP.  The actual E.T. will vary, but only by a little assuming equal driving skills.

My GTX has a best E.T. of 12.55 at some speed around 105, can't remember and don't know where the time slips are since I haven't raced in a couple of years.  This was with 30"/10.5" slicks and open headers.  These calculators predicted about a 12.49 for my car.  I think that is pretty close given all possible variables.

They provide just an estimate, but if the estimate wasn't at least in the ball park, some really professional outfits wouldn't use them.  There are other calculators that cost some dough that can take virtually any variable known into account, but these free ones are just put forth as an estimate for what is supposed to be an enlightening and possibly entertaining discussion.

Here are some others for a comparison check.

http://www.turbofast.com.au/Drag.html

http://www.hardcore50.com/members/calculators.htm

http://www.ajdesigner.com/fl_horsepower_trap_speed/horsepower_trap_speed.php

Bill Huff