[FWDLK] Whatta Drag (News)....

Okay, I've got to admit that I just don't get how any of this "data" is empirical. How did Motor Trend acquire their test cars? Did they buy them or borrow them? Did they do anything to the cars or just test them as delivered? Were the tests performed under scientific conditions? Did the tests vary from year to year? Were they bribed? Etc.

As Paul Holmgren [among others] mentioned, a little tweaking of the tune on a hemi can result in significantly higher horsepower. A little more tweaking can result in awesome increases in power.

The old anecdotal story I heard about gross horsepower is that the engine was fired up on a stand with no accessories and they got the highest reading just before it blew up.

Just what is it were trying to "prove" here? That there were no sub-15 second runs in '56-'57? That a particular '57 was faster than a particular '56?

Seems to me that race 'em on Saturday sell 'em on Monday was the mode of operation in those days.

I have a relative [fortunately distant] that does genealogical studies by extrapolating the customs of the day to project how where when and why our ancestors moved from place to place. Serious genealogists just laugh at him. I'm seeing a similarity here...

--Roger van Hoy, Washougal, WA, '55 DeSoto, '58 DeSoto, '56 Plymouth, '66 Plymouth, '41 Dodge

----- Original Message ----- From: "eastern sierra Adj Services" <esierraadj@xxxxxxxxx>

Motor Trend, & Hot Rod put their test cars on dynamometers, and recorded rear wheel HP on a factor of about 50% of the advertised HP; parasitic drag thru the driveline is usually accepted as being about 15-20% of flywheel horsepower.

For the 260 gross HP 1956 D500, MT recorded 132 RWHP, iirc.

Neil Vedder