Re: [FWDLK] what's your bottom dollar?

> Re: [FWDLK] what's your bottom dollar?  I'm a buy-high, sell-low kinda guy.  Yeah,
> I know...

> I try to set a fair price on something I'm selling, and if a potential buyer
> wants my bottom price I tell him I don't like to bid against myself, come up
> with a counteroffer and we'll go from there.  If the 'negotiations' aren't going
> anywhere, I suggest we sleep on it and he can get back to me.

> --Roger van Hoy, Washougal, WA, '55 DeSoto, '58 DeSoto, '56 Plymouth, '66
> Plymouth, '41 Dodge

    On the "buy" side, I will ask for the seller's "best price".  I know what kind of money I want to spend most times and if the "best price" is within that range, I prefer to take it straight up and respect the seller's dignity by not beating him down.

    On the "sell" side, few things chap my hide like buyers working me for money.  I do not own things lightly.  Most everything I have, I have for very strong and thought out reasons.  They are not just whimsical commodities to me.  They are part of me.  Should I decide to let something go, I do my best to have a realistic idea of what it is and how hard it would be to find another and then price it accordingly.  When someone comes along and starts to work me, I am never that motivated to sell it in the first place and since it is something I care about, I find it entirely disrespectful to go knocking it and trying to beat my price down.  I am more than happy to just end the discussion and ask the butthead to leave.  Let them find another.  There are a few in this "hobby" that have enjoyed such an experience with me when I was more active in it.

    As part of this seller's attitude, I do my best to be respectful of those I buy from.  Of course, I want the best price.  But I am not willing to disrespect the seller and work him.  I tend to buy higher than I might, but time has a way of making an expensive purchase of something rare work out in my favor in the end.  Either way, I am content in the money I am willing to spend and once spent, am happy to have whatever it was I bought.

   B.