Re: [FWDLK] The Real D500-1 was [FWDLK] '56 D-500 2x4 Air Cleaners

Re: [FWDLK] The Real D500-1 was [FWDLK] '56 D-500 2x4 Air Cleaners

The factories did a lot of strange things in those days. I worked for a body shop in 1955-57, and one of the owners loved Pontiac's, but hated the interiors. He loved the olds interiors (this may have been the other way around) and ordered his cars that way every two years. It seems to me he picked them up in Detroit, and he told me they had to bring the interiors over from one factory to the other to add it to the line.

My best buddy ordered a '57 Fury from the dealer, and we bought Smitty Steel Packs and kept pouring Gas into them and burning them out in his field. When the car came in we took them down and had the dealer install them. That way when he was stopped for muffler violation, he could honestly say "It came from the Dealer that way".

In '94 I ordered a '95 Dakota for my son thru a contact in Chrysler and when it arrived at the dealer, lots of what he ordered were incorporated into a "Factory Package" that the dealer couldn't find in his paperwork, plus it had some other things on it that were included. The Dealer had to change all his invoicing so my son could pay what the sticker said and He was still scratching his head when the truck left.

Ray