Re: [FWDLK] shock absobers

From an old recycled email I was able to sort out . . . :worked like a champ on my '58 Dogde . .  .

-Bob

****************************

"This topic has floated around in this mailing list and the web board a few times.  A number of FWDlookers know the part numbers I think.  I have the shocks but put them on a few years ago and dont have the part numbers handy.  For the  front you have to grind the bottom mount to fit.  I found this on the Imperial site and I *THINK* the KYB part number list for Imperials is the same to use for a DPDC car:

http://www.imperialclub.org./Repair/Springs/shocks.htm

From Chris:

KYB makes a superb shock - far superior to anything else on the market. KG 4507's in the front. KG5511 in the rear.

The lower mounts on the front shocks need to be trimmed slightly, which is why they are not cataloged. But they give outstanding ride and performance once installed.

They are about $32 each, and worth it.

Follow-up question from Bruce:

Thanks for the KYB tip. Does anyone know if the same model numbers should fit a '57 post sedan? Also, what part of the shock needs to be trimmed a little?

Reply from Jay:

The front KYB shock needs to have it's lower bushing shortened from 1.50 to 1.25 inches. This is what I had to do for my installation. My guess is that the same mod needs to be made for other years as well.

Charles Pollock wrote:
Hi Allen,
KYB makes the Gas-A-Just shocks.
Here is the website:

http://www.kyb.com/

There is an online parts catalog as a PDF.
I have enclosed it with this email, but I don't see a listing for a 1958 Dodge.  It shows full-size, but only back to an early 60's Polara.  May be the same...

Take Care,
Charles.

Roger Howard wrote:
If you have some free time, there is a Search Function on this site. Click on Search, type in "Shock Absorber" and see what happens.
I tried it a little bit..didnt see your question, did see mine..some of the shocks suggeted include Gabriel, Monroe, Andy Bernbaum.....