From: Forward Look Mopar Discussion List [mailto:L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Brent Burger
Sent: Saturday, November 24, 2007 2:56 PM
To: L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [FWDLK] D 500 air cleaners

From: DupontTim@xxxxxxx

This Barrett Jackson car is ranking in the very top reaches of unethical restoring practices that has plagued rare cars of the 50's. Built by someone (a total @$$ # */?) who disregards research and basically pumps the system full of misinformation. Yes, the Barrett Jackson car is at the pinnacle of deception and if the restorer doesn't know it he is still guilty of gross ignorance, I don't care how nice the car looks it is a huge fabrication of monumental forgery. The only grey area here is wether the restorer is lazy and didn't care to get the facts or is knowingly exploiting the uneducated public. I have nothing but disgust for this cars of this ilk and it is easy prey for anyone who turns a critical eye, Neil Vedder could and has ripped it to shreds in less than a minute, mere child's play for him. Is Neil the only other person who gets it? collectors must understand what's at stake here or perhaps apathy is now regarded as a v! ertue. To me it boils down to the fact that if you are building a car for yourself take all the liberties you want, and please if you sell it disclose the facts..... if you are a person or company that wants to restore rare and complicated vehicles for sale as investments to the public DO YOUR HOMEWORK!!!!! A car hobby or Auction House that awards such total crap are nothing more than parasites that exploit unsuspecting hosts and there activities have no foundation in value, I don't know how it isn't considered criminal. I am trying to be restrained but if you want to know how I really feel.............Tim in Golden

    OK,  ......  I'll go out on a limb here since no one else likes talking in real terms.  Feel free to hit me backchannel if so inclined.

   Earlier it was stated this 56 Golden Lancer had the body "restored" by Mopar Mel.  The work being done for a Bill Harris (?) in Atlanta, Ga.

   It wa also stated by that poster that an impeccable job was done in the restoration, to which our own Mr. Vedder quickly shredded as being far from the case.

   In my limited exposure to cars handled by Mopar Mel, all have been screaming examples of cobbed-together cars, using parts from the most random of sources.  A 60 Dodge might have an Imperial motor, or whatever it took to slap it together and get it up for sale.  The interiors were atrocious.  A recent thread over on the other side had a long line of members raving about this man and his ethics.

   I do not know the guy.  Never dealt with him.  Only seen a few cars that the owners claimed they bought from him.  I see him posting here regularly looking for impossible parts and wonder how this duality exists within the "community".

    Tim, I am with you on your points above.  Build a car as you please.  Just don't lie about it when it comes time to sell.  That is fraud.  As evidenced by recent B-J showings, a well done clone or Day Two restoration does not suffer for bidders because it is not a flawless factory numbers matching original or restoration.  A person does not need to be fraudulent to reap the big bucks.

   I have really enjoyed the banter regarding these 56 D-500 and 500-1 cars.  We have a messy, one owner original D-500 ourselves.  Keep up the study and sharing.  Education is the only way to stop fraud.

   B.