Re: [FWDLK] Gettng hosed, & wired!

The main problem with original style Corbin clamps is that most of the modern replacement hoses we use have less wall thickness than O.E.M. hoses so the "correct" clamp for an application is often a little too big and allows the hose to pop off under pressure. Dick

----- Original Message -----
From: Joe Savard
Sent: Sunday, November 25, 2007 9:41 AM
Subject: Re: [FWDLK] Gettng hosed, & wired!

In a message dated 11/25/2007 1:07:44 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, esierraadj@xxxxxxxxx writes:
In case there's anyone who didn't already know this: the Chrysler-type
spring-wire hose clamps are inherently superior to the screw-down
clamps, because, as long as the spring-wire guys are not defective, and
are properly size-mated to the subject hose , they will continue to
exert pressure onto  the hose, due to their natural compression
characteristics.
Neal,
I won't/can't get into the virtues of which clamp is better...  I've used them both with good success.  I was commenting on one of my experiences from long ago and far away, as we "older folk" are wont to do!  I had just built this thing up in the engineering garage and we were on its' maiden voyage.  The moment when the hose let go gets burnt into your memory, as it is really spectacular, before the mind has time to sort out all the details and you realize what's happening.  FWOOSH!, and then all this steam,  and of course, it happened on the first W.O.T. run of the day!

Actually, opening the hood and finding something as simple as a blown hose connection was quite a relief!

Joe