To: <L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, November 24, 2007 10:07 PM
Subject: [FWDLK] Gettng hosed, & wired!

In case there's anyone who didn't already know this: the Chrysler-type
spring-wire hose clamps are inherently superior to the screw-down
clamps, because, as long as the spring-wire guys are not defective, and
are properly size-mated to the subject hose , they will continue to
exert pressure onto  the hose, due to their natural compression
characteristics.

The screw-down guys can, and routinely do,
fail, over time, when they fail  to maintain their compression against
the hose, when the hose shrinks/hardens with age, and/or due to the
failure of the screw-down mechanism, itself, or due to the
screw-mechanism not being sufficiently tightened-down, to begin with.

The spring-type hose clamps do require the use of a dedicated wrench,
but they are available over the counter at parts shops, and, the
later-versions (like the one I have) have  a neat one-way ratchet, like
a Vise-Grips, where you can set the degree of compression that you want
the wrench to hold, as it grips (holds-open) the spring clamp, as you
maneuver it over/around the hose.

Neil Vedder