To: <L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, November 26, 2007 8:05 PM
Subject: Re: [FWDLK] Gettng hosed, & wired!

To each is own originality; I've had my car's Corbin's (didn't know that they had a formal name--before I got my special wrenches, I just called them 'muthers'.) ....installed for many trouble-free decades.

Now :  I call them NICE, to remove & maneuver, as necessary.

I think that Gary Goers sells them.

We've all got our war-stories, but if the Corbins were all that bad, then they would be just another defamation, like our car's interiors' durability, and their bodies' fitment & rustability.

If no one beats me to it, I'll post a pic of the Corbin's special ratchet-wrench, in operation, manana.

Neil Vedder

Wayne Graefen wrote:
Multiple Corbin clamp problems and my solution:

    * Corbin clamps are not readily available over the counter at
      almost all parts houses.
    * Corbin clamps are supposed to be single time use.  Never reused.
    * We home mechanics can't keep quantities on hand.
    * The parts house Corbin hose clamp tools will not squeeze the
      Corbin clamp tightly enough to remove it over a swollen hose.  I
      keep my air grinder handy for Corbin removal!  The professional
      grade Corbin tools are better than the cheapies but not ideal.
    * There is no visual way of knowing a Corbin is properly sized to
      the need at hand.  They are not labeled and they come in a
      variety of color finishes today with no code explanation of what
      they are intended to fit.  Once out of the packaging they are
      all guesses as to what they will hold tight.
    * When John Lazenby and I stocked some Corbins and advertised them
      to the 300 clubs, we received one order in several years.

My solution once was to use quality screw down hose clamps always available at the parts houses. Those available in name brands today have slipped in quality compared to what they were over the years. And the cheaper ones are absolute junk. Norma /Torro hose clamps are used in all high end production cars built in the world from Audi to Mercedes, BMW, Rolls, Jaguar, Ferrari, Lambo, etc., etc. The only US car I'm aware of using them from the factory is the Holden-based Pontiac GTO. Read fully about them here: http://www.abaofamerica.com/PDF/NORMA-Torro.pdf They say "Norma" and have a millimeter sizing range on them. In my mind Norma clamps are vastly superior to our common screw drive or Corbin clamps. I have never had one strip or fail and that includes occasional extremely abusive non-automotive applications. Yes, they cost a little more. What is an engine worth? My 300F Special lost a Corbin heater hose when it was two years old probably because it had been off and reinstalled. That destroyed the car's original cylinder heads and caused a partial motor rebuild. I can be an absolute stickler for 100% authenticity and appreciate those who adhere to that standard but I have NO Corbin clamps on any vehicle I own.
 Wayne