From: James
Sent: Saturday, December 01, 2007 3:44 PM
Subject: [FWDLK] 1959 Dodge - Lost in the fire

Well, it is gone.

For several years I have been working on my 1959 Custom Royal Lancer 2 door hdtp. It was the one on the cover of the 2004 Calendar (I think that was the year). It was the two toned blue and white one. Anyway, it was up at a shop getting the final touchups done on my frame off restoration. As luck/fate would have it, the fires that we had in Southern California swept right through the area where the car was and it was totaled. Nothing restorable. A total loss. I also had a second ?59 CRL that was being used for parts. Also destroyed. The building collapsed on top of the cars, the glass melted, the bodies twisted from the heat. Gone. I still had to do assembly, but I had most of the parts up there with the car.

The shop insurance is not covering it?calling it an act of God. My insurance, Hagerty, is actually covering it so that is good news.

The whole thing is very depressing, obviously. All the work to do the frame off, gone. Two more ?59?s lost to history. Money lost that even the insurance does not fully cover. Very sad.

I did want to thank all those on the list who have helped me over the years. This has been a great source of information, parts and general support. I don?t post often but I always read and so again, I say thanks. I will keep on the mailing list. Even now, I take a peek to see if there is another 57-60 FL car for sale?...to start the process all over again.  What else can you do?

James Zurek

San Diego