[FWDLK] 58 Fury on eBay

Ok, "junk" is a heavily loaded term.  I didn't mean to imply that this car has
no value (which I can see might be a proper definition of junk - thanks Bill
K.).  However, any car that has lost its ability to take someone from point A to
point B could also legitimately be described as junk, particularly if the owner
deems it not worth the bother to fix.  It would be illegal to leave this Fury on
a public street in most towns and cities across the nation.  Most neighborhood
covenants would prohibit keeping this Fury outside, even on private property!
Until someone gets it running and driving again, it is junk.  I have paid lots
of money for junk cars and nearly junk cars.  I have fixed a junk 58 Dodge
coupe.  It is licensed and running and many people would still describe it as
junk.  Up until the point that I can drive them again, I consider my non-driving
cars as, collectively, a p! ile of junk.  That doesn't mean I would give them away
or (Heaven forbid) crush them, but I wo!
uld be justified in doing so.  There is a whole spectrum of junk cars too - from worthless to expensive.  I
think Dave is right on the money; this car is a junk car and whether it has the
incorrect busted engine or no engine at all has no bearing on its value.  If it
had the correct busted engine, maybe it moves up in the spectrum of junk cars.
Value is completely individual.  I have to live in my own economy and $1,500
(including shipping) is the absolute maximum I would begrudgingly pay for this
Fury.  That tells me I am relatively poor.  However, there are probably billions
of people in the world who wouldn't pay $1.50 for that car, so maybe I am rich!

   There are at least two major schools of thought regarding what holds value and what is considered "junk".

   One sees "value" as an intrinsic presence.  Most old car guys would fall into this group.

   The biggest group by far sees "value" in terms of money, time, convenience.  These would be the folks who get lubed-up for new-is-best thinking, blue book "value", tract homes and neighborhood schools and parks.  Codes and covenants keeping "riff-raff" out would be gladly espoused by this group.  Property values would be another high concern.

  Seeing this eBay Fury through the eyes of Group 2, it does not take any imagination to understand that this car would be seen as a negative, and most would think it is junk.  But who in the old car hobby sees the world through those eyes ?  Or more directly, who the hell would want to ?

  Sure, I accept that the world follows the mighty buck and that all this old car nonsense is generally not cost effective, let alone profitable.  But who in this group wants to live the drone life of a minivan  and neighborhood covenent existence ?  Shoot me in the head the day I start talking like this is a good idea !

   That kind of commentary is better suited to the Hyundai Look Forum.

   B.