Re: [FWDLK] eBay '58 Fury (was Digest etc etc)

Hey Brent, I don't know what kind of mileage you are getting, but on The Tulsa trip I averaged 17-19 MPG. Kept my foot out of it most, but not all the time! My 57 Dual Fury is .060 over, mopar electronic ignition, Chris Neilson cam, and carefully restored stock carbs. Dick
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, January 05, 2008 2:23 PM
Subject: Re: [FWDLK] eBay '58 Fury (was Digest etc etc)

 The 58 Fury I had in the early 60's never was beat by a
55-57 Chevy and all my friends sure tried! They always got me off the line
but after 40 MPH all they saw was my taillights! Only thing that ever beat
me was a 60 Plymouth Sonoramic Commando ex NYS Police car that really flew!
               And who said that they got tired of the sound of the dual
four barrels? I think that is about the greatest sound in the automotive
universe. It was 36 years between Dual Furys for me and I never forgot that
sound! Dick W.

   If so inclined, a guy should keep it stock and go that extra mile to do it right.  I admire and respect those who do.

  My bent is always to keep a period look but try and squeeze better ecomony performance out of the cars.  In several instances over the years I found that a 2bbl 318 Plymouth  .... say a 58, .... can get a good 25%-50% better mileage running a 383 4bbl.  Not to mention that outrageously better go-fast from the big block.

   Dick, ....  you are SO right about that sound of the kick down and those secondaries opening wide.  I love it !  My practical side wants to drive these cars though, and feeding two carbs to just drive down the road increases fuel costs quite a bit.  I have opted away from the DQ's in favor of the single four.  I will just have to enjoy that sound when guys like you bring your cars around.  Besides, both my FL cars were stock four barrels rides.

    B.